Mobile Personal Injury Law Firm: Understanding the "Contributory Negligience Rule" and How it Affects Your Lawsuit

When you have been injured in an accident, you need to focus on getting better. The last thing on your mind are liability, filing deadlines, or other technical legal points. That is why you need the services of a skilled Mobile personal injury law firm that can help you protect your rights and navigate the complex legal system. Maloney-Lyons is the Mobile personal injury law firm that will fight for you.

Mobile Personal Injury Law Firm

Alabama has very specific, technical rules about personal injury lawsuits that must be followed exactly or your lawsuit will be dismissed.
These strict laws are why you should never risk hiring a lawyer who is not experienced in Alabama personal injury law.  The legal team at Maloney Frost-Lyons is skilled and knowledgeable about all of the relevant laws in Alabama.

Contributory Negligence

The key issue in any accident or personal injury case is liability, or who is at fault. Most states have an injury law called "comparative negligence" that evaluates what part, if any, of the accident you are responsible for and will adjust the settlement you receive from your lawsuit by that percentage. But some states, including Alabama, follow the harsher and stricter legal rule called "contributory negligence". Under the Alabama contributory negligence law, if you are determined to be even 1 percent responsible for the accident then you will recover no money. This means that you could be severely injured and have millions of dollars worth of damages but, if the other person involved is found only 99% responsible for the accident you would receive no financial compensation. Because of this rule it is very important for you to hire the right law firm as quickly as possible after your injury.

Focused on Personal Injury Law

By focusing only on personal injury cases: automobile accidents, fall injuries, workplace/job injuries, hospital negligence and medical malpractice, birth injuries, and wrongful death, the team at Maloney-Lyons is able to get you the settlement you deserve. The team understands the Alabama contributory negligence rules and will make sure that they are not used to deny you the financial compensation you are entitled to.

Free Consultation

Contact the team at Maloney-Lyons, the skilled Mobile personal injury law firm for a free consultation before you risk losing your legal rights. Call, email, or fill out the case form on the website today.